4 Things You Need to Know About Spectrophotometers
1. About Spectrophotometers
Spectrophotometers are devices used for color measurement devices, they are used to capture and evaluate color. Spectrophotometers are a part of a color control program, brand owners and designers often use them to specify and communicate color. Manufacturers also use spectrophotometers to monitor color accuracy throughout production.
Spectrophotometers can measure just about anything, this includes liquids, plastics, paper, metal and fabrics. Spectrophotometers can help ensure that color remains consistent from conception to delivery. The spectral reflectance curve that is provided by a spectrophotometer is also known as the color’s “fingerprint”.
2. The Common Categories of Spectrophotometers
Spectrophotometers come in two common categories. Both these categories of spectrophotometers are different in size but have similar function, which is to specify, communicate, formulate and measure color accurately.
- Portable Spectrophotometers
- Rugged, accurate, and comfortable in your hand or pocket, Plastmost Entreprise offers portables measure color anywhere in your operation.
- A portable spectrophotometer is handy as you can bring it anywhere and it is mobile and has lighter weight than a benchtop spectrophotometer.
- A portable spectrophotometer comes in handy solutions for an array of surface geometries and materials.
- Benchtop Spectrophotometers
- Plastmost’s benchtop spectrophotometers are the preferred choice for laboratory-based operations that require the highest level of color precision and control.
- These spectrophotometers are heavier in size as compared to portable spectrophotometers that are lightweight and mobile
3. The Various Types of Spectrophotometers and their Uses: –
- Portable Sphere Spectrophotometers
- This sphere spectrophotometer is a convenient handheld instrument, and adapts easily to a range of workflows.
- It can accurately measure colors of a broad array of materials
- Multi-Angle Spectrophotometers
- A multi-angle spectrophotometers comes with special effect finishes
- This spectrophotometer ensures consistent color and color harmony across a global supply chain
- Portable Spectrophotometers and Densitometers
- From a simple densitometer to a highly advanced spectral measurement instrument, this spectrophotometer can be used with paper, film or other substrates.
- This type of spectrophotometer is the most accurate and consistent color measurement instrument on the market.
- Sphere Benchtop Spectrophotometers
- This benchtop spectrophotometer sets up new standard for measuring, managing and communicating color
- A sphere benchtop spectrophotometer comes with unprecedented audit trails and repeatable performance.
- Non-Contact Imaging Spectrophotometers
- This benchtop spectrophotometers has unmatched flexibility and color measurement accuracy.
- This type of spectrophotometer is suitable for retail paint and industrial applications.
- Compact Sphere Benchtop Spectrophotometers
- The cost-effective compact sphere benchtops are designed for retail paint and industrial applications.
- This benchtop spectrophotometer is suitable for those who are seeking to establish a color control program.
4. The Benefits of Using Spectrophotometers:
- Spectrophotometers provide a higher level of flexibility and versatility than colorimeters due in part to the fact that they offer multiple illuminant/observer combinations and can operate in multiple geometric arrangements, such as 45°/0° and d/8°.
- Therefore, spectrophotometers are capable of measuring metamerism, identifying colorant strength, analyzing a comprehensive range of sample types, and providing its users a choice between including or excluding specular reflectance to account for geometric attributes.
- Full spectrum analysis also includes for greater specificity, potentially identifying color differences missed by colorimeters.
- Spectrophotometric instruments are greatly suited for a broad range of applications in the research and development phase.
- Spectrophotometer is suitable for measuring color formulation and color system development, and color quality control throughout production.